Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sleevie Stevie

Man, time flies when you're having fun!  Here I am, sleeved for almost two weeks already.  It's really unbelievable that this came to fruition.  I never thought it would and it sometimes still doesn't feel real but it did and it is.

Friday October 12th, I had to be in the hospital by 6AM.  My husband and I got up around 4:30AM to shower/get ready and we were out the door by 5:15.  We got to the hospital, went to admitting and waited for my name to be called.  I had been feeling nervous but trying to just not think about it.  I was called back around 6:30 to start prepping for surgery.  They got me into a gown right away and I did the preliminary stuff.  I couldn't believe how fast it was going because I waited so long before my lapband removal!  The anesthesiologist came in and decided that since I'm a hard stick, she would try to get the IV in before going to the OR.  Of course she had a hard time and IV needles hurt so much that my nerves finally spilled over and I started to cry.  My husband was a rock though and made me feel a lot better during the whole ordeal.

Finally, once the IV was in, it was time to go into the OR.  I kissed my husband goodbye, he told me not to be scared or nervous, hugged and I was on my way.  I went under pretty quickly and from what I hear, surgery went well.  Afterward, I didn't have the same bad reaction to the anesthesia as before because they loaded me up with anti-nausea medication before waking me up.  However, I was still pretty out of it for a long period of time.  They kept me in recovery for 5 hours, ugh.  My poor husband was exhausted but he still stayed with me and I'm so grateful for it even thought I was pretty much unconscious.  I was moved into a room around 5 in the afternoon.

I had a tube in my nose that ran down my throat to my stomach, a drain sticking out my side, and a catheter.  Needless to say, I was pretty miserable.  I had just gotten settled into my room when I started to gag on the damn tube down my throat.  My heart rate went way up and the nurses started freaking out.  I finally calmed down and was able to stop gagging but then I had to have an EKG.  After all that excitement, I could finally hit the morphine pump and rest.  That morphine pump would be my friend for the next two days.  I had the nose tube and catheter taken out the next day in the hospital but the drain wouldn't come out until I left.  Let me tell you, having a drain pulled out of you is nothing but weird.  I wouldn't call it painful exactly but it certainly doesn't tickle and it is beyond weird feeling it being pulled out from your insides.  I get the shivers thinking about it now.

After the hospital, my life has been pretty good.  I stayed home from work for a week recovering, went to a wedding, and get to start mushy foods soon.  I honestly don't have any pain, maybe a little discomfort at night but that's it, no nausea, no fevers, no bathroom problems...everything is good!  I'm a little surprised and leary about it but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.  However, I am 100% sick of being on liquids.  If I never have to eat soup again it'll be too soon.  I never liked soup much to begin with so it's been a challenge.  Also, protein shakes are disgusting.  I've tried several different types, kinds, flavors and none of them taste good at all.  I'm pretty much only getting one shake in a day which is bad because I should be having three but it's all I can do.  I intend to drop them from my diet Friday when I start mushies. 

Other than that, I've had high energy and high hopes for this surgery type to work for me.  I know I need to stick to plan and make it work for me so I hope I can make that change in myself.  I know that my head hunger has been out of control lately but I think it's mostly because of the liquids.  I hope it goes away in the mushie phase.  Anyway, I've fondly nicknamed my sleeve, Sleevie Stevie and I do so hope we can be friends.

Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment