Friday, March 15, 2013

Luck of the Irish!



Here I am, the Friday of St. Patrick’s Day weekend and I can’t help but be corny and say how lucky I am.  Life has been amazing and very busy since I last updated.  I’ve lost another solid 10lbs this past month and am now below my lowest weight with my band and in a size 14 jeans!  I haven’t been a 14 since freshman year of college (that's ten years, folks)!  I truly cannot believe it.

There’s a part of me that still feels like this will all slowly slide away and I will gain the weight back but I’m trying to keep those evil thoughts at bay.  I have to consider that I’ve never eaten the way I eat now ever before.  I do go off plan every now and then but for the most part, I stick to it.  I’m still not very good with protein but it remains one of my goals to get better with it.  I just have to suck it up and suck down a protein shake.  I don’t know if I can handle it every day but I will try for every other day.  I also bought Quest protein bars and surprisingly, they don’t taste nasty.  I really didn’t like the Quest Peanut Butter cups at all but the protein bars are good.  They are a bit weird and remind me of taffy (the consistency) but the flavors are fine.  I try to eat a half bar either for breakfast or as a snack.  So far the best flavors are the ones without chocolate in them.  There’s just something about fake tasting chocolate that gets to me.  Banana Nut Muffin, Cinnamon Roll, and Vanilla Almond Crunch are ones that I would consider reordering (they are clearly good breakfast choices).

As far as eating goes, I eat normally now.  No restrictions and everything goes down great (meaning leafy greens and fruits which would get stuck with the band!).  I really try to pay attention to my carb intake and when I have a bad week of carbs, I know I won’t be losing much for that period of time.  I really lose weight when I keep my carbs below 40 grams a day for 5 days at a time.  I’m still not very good with tracking my food or making great decisions on weekends but that is a continuing struggle in my journey.  I’m just too busy on the weekends sometimes!  Or not busy at all and I just don’t want to think.  Not great thinking but it is what it is. 

Lastly, I’ve just signed up to do the Color Run in Brooklyn in September.  I don’t like running at all but I really want to do the Couch to 5K program and try to jog/run the Color Run.  Not to mention that running will really help my thighs slim down more.  Even though I’ve lost a lot of weight, my thighs have always been my problem area.  I’m just very bottom heavy and I need to work my legs out more.  There’s a gym at my job and while it is small, it is cheap and easy to work out.  So why not come in a little early in the morning and do a run?  I’m not usually a morning person but I can make it happen.  I want to BE a morning person.  I think exercising in the morning will give me more energy and then I don’t have to worry about working out when I get home.  I find that I really haven’t worked out a lot in the past few weeks because when I get home, I’m dog tired and it’s easy to find an excuse not to workout.  Not to mention that my kickboxing gym is 20+ blocks from my house, if I don’t go straight there from work, I ain’t going at all.  I’m also too much of a social butterfly.  I’ve had too many things to do after work in the past couple of weeks that I just really haven’t had the time to work out when I get home.  So, I think that trying to do it in the mornings at work is better than nothing at all.  It probably will suck for the first week but I think if I can make it a regular routine, I’ll get it done. 

I’m going to leave you with a pic of me from this past weekend looking svelte and loving every second of it.  I can’t help but feel amazing and smile when I look at this picture.  I’ve come such a long way and dammit I will brag about it!  :)





My stats thus far:
Pre-Op weight: 234lbs
Surgery weight: 226lbs
Current weight: 176.3 – that’s a total loss of almost 58 pounds!! YOWZA.

No comments:

Post a Comment